Friday, February 7, 2014

Let The Games Begin

Welcome to Sochi!

It is time for one of my favorite things, the Olympics! I have always loved watching the events and the opening ceremonies growing up, and now that I am older, I can actually appreciate the Olympics a little more. But I have always loved watching the events, especially events like the figure skating in the winter games and gymnastics in the summer games. And as I sit here watching the Opening Ceremonies for the 2014 Olympics I can't help but think about the last time I watched the Olympics and where I will be in 4 years, the next time we have the winter games.

Last time: 
The last time there were winter games it was 2010. I was a junior in high school, single, had no idea where I wanted to go to college and was enjoying high school. I thought all I wanted to do was go to school, be a music major, get a degree in Music Ed, teach band and go from there. I was 16 and thought I had the world figured out. My, my how things have changed.

Now: 
Well now I am 20, a junior in college and have a slight idea what I want to really do. Watching the games makes me happy though because I have a better appreciation for everything. I mean there are people who are younger than me, competing at an Olympic level and what am I doing?? Sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, watching them. I mean I can barely ice skate and make a few laps around the rink before I fall and these people are doing jumps and all sorts of stuff. And yes, I know that these athletes have been training and preparing for the games for years and years but still...

Next time: 
Well, next time that there are winter games it will be 2018. I will have graduated from college, hopefully have a job, probably be married. It is crazy to think that I will be done with college in a year. I would love to be reporting by the next games, probably still at a smaller station but I would love to be at least at a reporter level.

And now the games have officially began. And since I just watched it, I figured I would give a quick recap of my favorite and least favorite things about the opening ceremonies.

Least Favorite Part:
The creepy people who led in the delegations. Okay, these women were the ones who introduced each country. They had the name of the country on it, but the outfit choice was...interesting.



Favorite Part:
My favorite part was the music. I am a music nerd and just the fact that they were able to use all of the Russian classical music to make such an amazing show was fantastic. The way that they covered 1000 years of Russian history in the span of an hour with music and props was inspiring.
One of the lines in the chorale for Sigma Alpha Iota is "Music is a kind and truthful speech, In a language out of mere words reach;" and this is what I think of when music is used in setting like this.

What are your favorite parts of the Olympics??
Felecia

No comments:

Post a Comment